UK Based IT and business integration company NexusOS has recently completed an important piece of research. In it, they found that the global cloud computing and Software as a Service (SaaS) market could top $100 billion by next year. They have also released information about different strategies to better help businesses implement cloud computing and SaaS.
NexusOS has been part of a global study on cloud computing virtualization. Software and service virtualization is designed to create a more effective automated business process. Cloud computing is an integral part of this, and the ability and need to deploy digital images at any time on any platform has increased significantly. In fact, almost every major IT department now uses Software as a Service (SaaS), including cloud computing. NexusOs has found that the market for SaaS and cloud computing could top $100 billion by 2016.
SaaS is made up of different elements. The two most important ones were found to be:
- PaaS – Platform as a Service
- IaaS – Infrastructure as a Service
It was found that organizations have to have a strong application development team in place and that their applications must be seen as an integral part of the overall IT infrastructure. Currently, too many businesses still manage it on an application by application basis, rather than as a whole. This is worrying, considering they are a huge part of the overall IT business.
Consumers are looking for much better systems. They want to feel secure and have excellent response times. This also means that services have to be available at all times. A number of best practice models have also been identified in the Nexuos.co.uk report. These include:
- The IBM mainframe, which is reliable, scalable and secure. It uses open source standards and allows users access to data, services and applications. IBM aims to virtualize people’s workloads and they have by far the biggest market share (72%) of the cloud software integration system.
- Cisco, who use Unified Computing. Their architecture has been designed to bridge the gaps within a data center. Cisco unties virtualization resources with storage access, network and compute.
- Hewlett Packard High-Performance Computing (HPC), which uses Linux clusters. In so doing, they have resolved some of the major issues around cluster complexity. They have done this through various important partnerships with other industry leaders. HP Labs is already a true industry leader in the field of IT. Their approach has always been technology agnostic and customer centered. They are the go to advisor in terms of product choices and technology. Additionally, they are known for their innovation and are set to be around for a long time.
For NexusOS, it is vital that companies learn how to exploit trends in the near-term growth future. They must start to focus on important issues such as Service Orientated Architecture (SOA) and improving the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC). In so doing, they will increase their efficiency, improve the management of their costs and reduce the amount of spending that is ineffective.
NexusOs’ Paul Walker, heavily involved in the piece of research, stated that:
“The most vital part of implementing any type of cloud application is about flexibility. The market is continuously changing and businesses must be able to be responsive to this. In fact, that is central to the IT management world we live in today and any business that is not committed to being responsive is set to fail.”
“We also believe that there will be an increased desire for IT systems that are designed to be flexible. This is what will spur the huge growth in the cloud computing market. This market was worth just $20.3 billion in 2009, but we expect it to be worth $100.4 billion by next year.”